The Sciatic Nerve and Chiropractic Sciatica Treatment
Chiropractic adjustments are a safe sciatica treatment alternative.
One of the most common services your Ridge Farm chiropractor provides is sciatica treatment. Sciatica is caused by compression of the sciatic nerve and can at times cause intense pain.
With chiropractic treatments, your chiropractor can reduce nerve impingement and ease your pain.
Basics About the Sciatic Nerve and Sciatica Pain
The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve bundle in the body, the diameter of which is three-quarters of an inch. It’s also the longest nerve, running from the lower back to the foot.
The sciatic nerve supplies nutrients and carries messages to and from the brain and the muscles of the lower half of the body, including the:
- Hamstring (upper, back part of the thigh)
- Back of the knee
- Lower leg
- Sole of the foot
What is Sciatica Pain?
The popular opinion about sciatica is that it’s a condition. In fact, sciatica pain is a symptom of another underlying condition, namely nerve compression.
Many factors can cause nerve impingement including:
- Spinal misalignment
- A sedentary lifestyle
- A herniated disc
- Bulging discs
- Bone spurs
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Sitting on your wallet
When you experience a pinched sciatica nerve, you can end up with the following symptoms:
- Moderate to severe pain that runs from the lower back through your buttocks and down your leg (often more severe in the leg than the back)
- Numbness, tingling, or “pins and needles” in the back, leg, and foot
- Pain that gets worse when you move
- Muscle weakness, loss of movement
- Pain in only one leg
- Pain that gets worse when you sit or stand for a long time
- Pain that gets worse when you stand up
- Pain that worsens when you twist your upper body
- Pain with coughing or sneezing
The pain is often described as sharp, stabbing, shooting, burning, or electric.
Sciatica Treatment for Pain Reduction
Your Ridge Farm chiropractor can successfully treat your symptoms with a sciatica treatment plan. Common therapy options:
- Ultrasound: Heat that penetrates deep into your muscles to increase circulation, reduce muscle spasms and cramping, as well as swelling and stiffness.
- Spinal Adjustments: Realignment of the spine takes the pressure off the nerve. It also reduces muscle tension and spasms, inflammation, and pain.
Chiropractic treatment is not painful, and most patients experience fast relief from their symptoms.
Learn About Your Condition to Find the Best Remedies
Dr. Todd J. Georges is passionate about education. So much so that he graduated with honors from Logan College of Chiropractic and went on to become a certified acupuncturist.
Dr. Georges wants to educate you, too. He knows that the more you know about your body, the better able you’ll be to make informed decisions. Learning about the underlying causes of painful conditions will help you take steps to treat and eliminate that cause so you can live a healthy, active, pain-free life.
Ready to do something about your sciatica pain? Call our office at (217) 247-2473 to schedule an examination.